What If We Lived Life Like An Egg Timer?
I rarely do this, but today I’m writing about some perspective on life.
I spent last weekend in Southampton at an event.
It’s more marketing etc so I won’t bore you with that.
But, there were some great take home points that really resonated with me, and matches the way I’ve been thinking the last 2 years.
Anyways, it’s this:
“Stop playing it so safe and just go for it, and stop fucking caring about what others think!”
We all have things we want to do and achieve in life, whether it be seeing the world, work, money, adventures.
But as the years roll by (and they do so quickly), it all kind of slowly drifts away.
Suddenly, you wake up one morning and you realise that time has slipped away.
And those dreams seem a million miles away from reality.
But what if we started to live life like an egg timer?
Strange, but stick with me.
What if on every birthday, instead of counting your age upwards, you count it downwards.
Right now, I’m 32.
Next may I’ll be 33.
But let’s flip it around.
The average life-expectancy in Ireland is 82 years.
So right now, I’ve 50 years of life left.
Next birthday I will have 49.
Then 48, 47, 46, 45, 44 and so on until that final day comes.
If you watched your years clocking downwards, you’d prioritise better, wouldn’t you?
You’d soon start doing WAY more stuff you enjoy and WAY less of what you don’t.
You’d focus more on:
– Spending more time doing things you love, and less of what you hate.
– Prioritising your health and well-being so you maximise your physical ability in those years, instead of poor nutrition and lack of exercise.
– Spending more time outdoors and less time on the couch watching Netflix.
– Being positive, building others up and less time gossiping and tearing others down.
– Overcoming insecurities and mental challenges so you unleash yourself rather than always finding ways to justify why life is tough.
– Making friends throughout the world and opening yourself up to new experiences rather than sitting in your comfort zone.
To be honest, I’ll come back and add even more to that.
But hopefully you get my drift.
If you watched your years ticking down, you’d be more open to taking the odd risk, asking that person out, saying Yes to that adventure, swapping the junk food for nutritious food.
You’d step out of your comfort zone a LOT more.
None of us get out of here alive, and none of us are guaranteed a certain lifespan.
So why do we sit still and let so much of life simply drift by?
Why do we allow the fear of judgement, opinion or other’s thoughts affect us from doing stuff that we know deep down would make ourselves proud, fulfilled and damn happy?
I think it’s time to take the shackles off and just start knocking a bit more craic and fun out of life.
What do you think?
Let me know, and tell me what you’d really love to do but somehow stop yourself from doing it!
Sometimes we just need to remove ourselves from the small mind culture and just give it a go!
P.s. apologies if it was a bit morbid, but fuck it, why not knock a bit more out of life?